words by: Merissa A. Alink
When I was making up my list for our menu plans for the upcoming weeks I asked my husband, “What goes with pizza?” (Since we always have homemade pizza on Friday nights. He said, “Breadsticks!” So here is the recipe for our frozen breadsticks we made to have on our pizza nights!
I love this recipe because it makes a BIG batch of frozen breadsticks that you can then take out and bake whenever you are ready for them. That way you get yummy fresh breadsticks for any meal without all the prep time! I hope you enjoy these make-ahead breadsticks as much as we do.
- 2 cups warm Water
- 8 tablespoons Butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons Salt
- 6 cups Flour
- 4 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 4 1/2 teaspoons Yeast
- In a small bowl mix together the water, sugar, and yeast. Set aside.
- In another bowl or a mixer, mix together the other ingredients. Then add in the yeast mixture. Knead for about 5 minutes.
- Let the mixture rise for about an hour, then punch down. Separate into balls and roll those balls into logs.
- Lay all of the breadsticks on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer to flash freeze. When they are frozen, take out the pan and you can put the breadsticks in a freezer bag.
- When you are ready to make them, take the breadsticks out of the bag and place them on a greased cookie sheet. Let them thaw and rise for about 30–60 minutes.
- Then bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes. As soon as you remove from the oven, brush melted butter over the tops and sprinkle on a little parmesan cheese and parsley.